[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.1rc3 "Out of Memory" crashes from pop3-login?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Apr 17 19:40:31 EEST 2008

On Apr 17, 2008, at 7:36 PM, richs at whidbey.net wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> On Apr 17, 2008, at 6:56 PM, richs at whidbey.net wrote:
>>> We recently began seeing server crashes in our cluster related to
>>> "pop3-login", which is causing "oom-killer" to be invoked.  The
>>> server only recovers after a reboot.
>> So oom-killer doesn't solve the issue? Then it's likely it has
>> nothing to do with pop3-login, OOM killer just selects a bad target
>> to kill (and Dovecot happily restarts a new pop3-login process)
>> while the real memory-eating process stays alive. Can you check
>> with ps what process(es) are eating all the memory?
>
> That's a good point.  Actually, oom-killer does solve the issue
> initially, but in every case the server eventually locks up (around
> 30 minutes later).
>
> Unfortunately at this point "ps" and "top" can't run, so we haven't
> been able to collect much information.  Here's a complete look at
> the "oom-killer" events:

What do you have login_process_size set to? The default should be
64MB, so unless you changed that a single login process couldn't be
able to use up all memory (but all of them at once could, of course).
So maybe setting login_process_per_connection=no and
login_max_processes_count=(something small) could show something useful.