[Dovecot] remove mails from shared folders

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Apr 18 12:57:59 EEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 22:00 +0200, Patrick Fischer wrote:
> The problem is that, if a user move an email out of the email pool, the
> other users still can see the mail in the pool.
> It takes a long time to remove the mail from the pool for every user.
> Move TO the pool works immediatley.
> The user can make a "compress folder" to remove the emails but this
> can't be the soulution.

IMAP uses a two phase mail deletion. First the mail is marked as
\Deleted and then only after EXPUNGE command is used, all the \Deleted
mails are really gone.

IMAP has no "move" command, so most clients do it with a COPY command
followed by setting the mail \Deleted (but they don't EXPUNGE
immediately).

So .. You could maybe modify Dovecot sources somehow to automatically
expunge messages when \Deleted flag is set to some specific mailboxes
(which kind of breaks IMAP standard and may cause problems), but I think
it would be a better idea to change the client instead. How about
implementing a small reliable web interface for moving the mails from
the queue?