[Dovecot] Moving Maildir email messages and backing things up.

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Mon Apr 21 18:41:38 EEST 2008

mouss wrote:
>> karl wrote:
>> What would happen if I ran a script that did this:
>>
>> mv ~/Maildir/.folder_one/cur/* ~/Maildir/.folder_two/cur/
>>
>> My hunch is it might break things.
>
> shouldn't break anything. if the MUA is caching "actions" (happens with
> thunderbird at least), then the view in the client will be different but
> this is not a big problem (at least for me).

So on the server I could run something simple like:

#!/bin/bash
bogofilter  -Ns  -B /home/karl/Maildir/.s-2B-scaned_spam
mv ~/Maildir/.s-2B-scaned_spam/cur/* ~/Maildir/.archived_spam/cur/

Afterwards the MUA 'view' of the folder might not be correct until thunderbird re-caches the
folder?

Is there a command line tool that would allow for moving emails that would do it in a way
that dovecot and the MUA would know to update caches?

.,.,

If I have two users share a mail folder, I would think the MUA 'view' would also get behind.
Is there a way to get thunderbird to re-cache a folder?

 > but if it's for backup, why are you moving files?

I'm looking into three separate issues: automating spam training, backup issues, and sharing
folders.

I really wish I could see a list of the ~/Maildir indexing files and what they do - probably
I don't need to know, but it might help me understand what problems I might run into
restoring a backup.

Karl Schmidt                         EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.                     WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                    Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                     FAX (785) 841-0434

Misdirection is the key to being a good magician. Magicians tell
you they are doing something while they do something quite
different; much like politicians -- except we can afford magicians.
-KPS