[Dovecot] Moving Maildir email messages and backing things up.

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Tue Apr 22 01:32:54 EEST 2008

mouss wrote:
> Karl Schmidt wrote:

>>> shouldn't break anything. if the MUA is caching "actions" (happens
>>> with thunderbird at least), then the view in the client will be
>>> different but this is not a big problem (at least for me).
>>
>> So on the server I could run something simple like:
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> bogofilter  -Ns  -B /home/karl/Maildir/.s-2B-scaned_spam
>> mv ~/Maildir/.s-2B-scaned_spam/cur/* ~/Maildir/.archived_spam/cur/
>
> you'd better use an "axuiliary" directory:
>

> mv $dir/.Junk.Trash/cur/* $dir/.Junk.Trash/todo/
> $learn_spam $dir/.Junk.Trash/todo/  && mv $dir/.Junk.Trash/todo/*
> $dir/.Corpus.junk/cur/

?? not sure I understand your point?? I'm not changing any message - just scanning
(bogofilter  -Ns  -B ~/Maildir/.s-2B-scaned_spam just reads the files in
~/Maildir/.s-2B-scaned_spam/cur.  I (and many others) have this part tested and working. (
bogofilter adds the header as part of the MTA work before local delivery in my setup).

But, it would be nice if I could move the messages with the same script.

I ran a test - with thunderbird set to an open follder  - I did a move - Thunderbird
instantly saw the move and everything just worked. BUT!--I'm not comfortable putting this in
production until I know what is going on inside dovecot during this operation. It would be
really helpful to know what all the index files were about etc..

Karl Schmidt                         EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.                     WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                    Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                     FAX (785) 841-0434

Subtle recursive jokes in signatures are funny.