[Dovecot] Adding new storage backend to Dovecot

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Wed Apr 23 08:16:19 EEST 2008

Earl Dreller wrote:
> I'm exploring adding a new storage backend to dovecot, storing mail in some
> sort of database, and had a few questions. Hoping someone here might be able
> to help :)

Other than the database storage engines already available, like maildir,
mbox, and dbox?

Oh... did you mean SQL database?

Hmm... actually, wonder how it'd go with CouchDB...

> -Is all of the 'storage' specific code in housed in lib-storage/index? Would
> adding a new storage backend be as simple as recreating all of the public
> functions of the current /mbox or /maildir code such as they pertain to that
> storage mechanism?

In my past experience with writing modules for Dovecot, yes it's often as
simple as writing something to fill in the functions in the interface struct.

> -Finally, if there isn't a filesystem associated with the mail storage area,
> obviously the index data code will need to change somewhere. Any ideas on
> the complexities of that?

You might want to investigate how the INDEX option to mail_location works.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net