[Dovecot] Index maintenance

Anders mail at flac.kalibalik.dk
Fri Apr 25 02:17:16 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 09:58 +0200, Anders wrote:
>> Anders wrote:
>>
>>> I am unable to find information about what happens to the index file if I
>>> use something like the cron script at the bottom of
>>> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Expire
>>>
>>> There must be some information in the index that is no longer needed. When
>>> and how will Dovecot clean this up?
>
> When the mailbox is next opened by a client (or STATUS command issued).

Does this mean that if users never check the folder, the index file will
grow indefinitely, even though I delete old messages every night?

This is a spam folder, so it is not unlikely that it could remain unread.

>> A similar question is whether the expire plugin will help me at all, when
>> it is only used for folders that receive new messages each day?
>>
>> Will the expire-tool give me the index maintenance that I am looking for?
>
> Do you mean that no clients would ever even see the messages? If you're
> using Dovecot's deliver they are also expunged.

Just to be sure: this means that deliver will clean up the index as soon
as the next spam arrives? That would be okay, even though some users are
still on procmail.

Then it seems to me that the expire-tool does not give me much
advantage, and adds the burden of an extra database. I guess it is most
useful if you have it watch folders that are not used every day?

Thanks,
Anders.