[Dovecot] Problem with Dovecot Delivery Agent, Extra "From" lines and mbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Apr 25 03:03:14 EEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 16:03 -0500, Hokan wrote:
> When an mbox email contains a line that looks like a "Mail" header
> it should be quoted (per RFC 4155). Sendmail's delivery agent does
> this, as does Procmail delivery agent.  Dovecot deliver does not
> do this.
>
> Example line, with ">" quote:
> >From hokan at hokan.org Thu Mar  8 17:28:01 2008
>
> When reading email (IMAP) that contains such an unquoted line, the
> email abruptly ends before the "Mail" line.  There may (or may not)
> appear another email (visible to the client) that contains the rest
> of the email.

Dovecot is supposed to use Content-Length: header to skip over the mail
body so it wouldn't require From lines to be quoted. This used to work
with v0.99, but it got broken at some point.

I've also thought about quoting From line, and maybe I'll do that if I
can't get Content-Length: to work properly. An annoying problem with the
quoting is that it changes the mail content and breaks things like PGP
signatures.

Anyway this is in my "would be a nice fix for v1.1.0, but doesn't block
a release" TODO category.