[Dovecot] Quota not showing correctly after conversion (mb2md.pl)

k bah kbah at linuxmail.org
Fri Apr 25 04:56:39 EEST 2008

 -- SCENARIO --

 I'm using dovecot-1.0.5-6 on opensuse 10.3.

 I use the maildir quota plugin, and I'm converting mailboxes from UW IMAP (mbox) to Maildir format using that mb2md.pl script (3.10 I guess).
 My migration happens like this:

 - if a user receives mail (before ever using the new mail system), it goes to his/her inbox, dovecot proceeds normally, like when a user exists, but never received mails. Quota is shown ok.

 - if a user logs in before receiving any new mail, then, /var/spool/data/USER/new is created, and all converted messages are copied to that dir. If that user had deleted messages (some users mark messages as deleted, others delete for real), then a /var/spool/data/USER/.Trash/new dir is created, and messages are put there too. No other files/dirs (dovecot-uidlist maildirsize cur tmp), are created by "me" or the migration scripts. Index files (/var/spool/index/USER) are not created neither. They are created by dovecot itself.

 I have a problem, when a user has mails that exceed the limit in mb's (I set just size limit, no messages limit), neither "getquotaroot" (via telnet to port 143), neither webmail software (horde) show the quota usage correctly (I'm not talking about new mail, talking about those messages copied, when they exceed the size limit). Just after trying to delete messages it is shown (gives me an error message, quota exceeded, since Trash is not excluded from quota limits, for now, I'll exclude it later). This server has some issues: many old users have lots of mails, in thousands (1000-15000). Some have 50mb to 150mb of mails. The migration is part of the cleanup process.

 --- MY QUESTIONS ---

 Is it possible that the migration order (creating dirs in that way) is causing the quota usage to be shown wrong?
 Is it possible that the amount of messages and the size can be the cause?
 Misconfiguration?
 Other causes?

 How can I manually tell dovecot to recalculate the quota, after copying messages (when a user logs in, and didn't receive new mails on the new mail system, but had messages big enough to exceed the quota limit) from the old system?

 Should I run any commands to rebuild indexes or any operation to keep information integrity about the mails/mailboxes to dovecot, after copying the converted messages?

 many thanks

=