[Dovecot] Broken Header uidvalidity problem after upgrade

Robert Henjes henjes at informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Tue Apr 29 18:10:23 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen schrieb:
> On Apr 29, 2008, at 12:19 PM, Robert Henjes wrote:
>> Excerpt from mail.err:
>> Apr 21 12:04:38 servera deliver(usera):
>> /var/mail/Maildir/usera/dovecot-uidlist: Broken header (uidvalidity =
>> 0, next_uid=9)
>> Apr 21 15:37:50 servera deliver(userb):
>> /var/mail/Maildir/userb/dovecot-uidlist: Broken header (uidvalidity =
>> 0, next_uid=16)
>
> To me these look like the older version just hadn't noticed broken
> uidvalidity values. Newer version has sanity checks and fixes the
> problem. Or does the error message happen more than once for the same
> mailbox?
>
> I think some versions of my Courier migration script could have
> written zero uidvalidity values.

Ok I think you're right. Your explanation does completley match our
history of installing dovecot.

We installed the old dovecot version and converted the mails using mb2md
(debian etch version 3.20) from mbox format to maildir format. Formerly
we used uw-imap as mailserver, which seems after a short review not to
care about this uidvalidity property at all. So after upgrading from
1.0.rc15 to 1.0.13 these sanity checks detected the problem and
corrected them. So as observed until now, this happens only once for
certain mailbox users either during deliver or while accessing using
imap. But it doesn't happen necessarily to each mailbox user.

Is there a possibility to check the uidvalidity from administrators
point of view on the server?