[Dovecot] POP3 locking

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Fri Aug 1 16:51:13 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Jul 31, 2008, at 8:10 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 06:05:27PM +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>>>
>>> but it seems to be off by default. From my dovecot.conf (1.07):
>>>
>>> #pop3_lock_session = no
>>>
>>> I think it should be on by default.
>>

>> The problem is if you have an MUA/MDA retrieving lots of messages
>> over a potentially slow connection, the mailbox can remain locked
>> for a very long time for a read-only operation.
>
> Or before when dialups were more common, if the modem disconnected you'd
> have to wait several minutes until the previous connection timed out.

Still very common in rural USA. We see occasional pop3 locks that last
hours while someone on a 26.4Kbps connect downloads mail. rfc1939 says
it should be locked. I do understand why it's not default in dovecot
though, since Dovecot is primarily an IMAP server, and the idea of
locking a mailbox for hours is probably a bit repulsive to the
developer. :-)

Ken

--
Ken Anderson