[Dovecot] related, but off-topic: how to allow users to change password?

Patrick Nagel patrick.nagel at star-group.net
Sat Aug 2 11:52:58 EEST 2008

Hi Sahil,

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 02:36:56 -0400, Sahil Tandon <sahil at tandon.net> wrote:
> My dovecot is currently configured to authenticate vs. a userdb/passdb
> passwd-file that contains, for each user:
>
> username:passhash:5000:5000::/path/to/home::userdb_mail=/path/to/maildir
>
> Is it possible to let users authenticate and change their passwords?
> There
> are some webmail client add-ons that allow such things if users are
system

> accounts or in a MySQL/LDAP db.  Does anyone else use passdb/userdb
> passwd-files like above and have a method for allowing users to change
> their
> passwords from the web?
>
> Sorry for the slightly off-topic question, but hoping another Dovecot
> admin
> has solved this problem.  Preference is to not to be tied to any
> particular
> webmail client just for this change password feature.

Maybe you can use Usermin for that (see
http://www.webmin.com/usermin.html). It has a module to change system
passwords.

Patrick.

--
STAR Software (Shanghai) Co., Ltd.            http://www.star-group.net/
Phone:    +86 (21) 3462 7688 x 826             Fax:   +86 (21) 3462 7779

PGP key:         https://stshacom1.star-china.net/keys/patrick_nagel.asc
Fingerprint:           E09A D65E 855F B334 E5C3 5386 EF23 20FC E883 A005