[Dovecot] related, but off-topic: how to allow users to change password?

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
Sat Aug 2 14:19:38 EEST 2008

Sahil Tandon wrote:
> My dovecot is currently configured to authenticate vs. a userdb/passdb
> passwd-file that contains, for each user:
>
> username:passhash:5000:5000::/path/to/home::userdb_mail=/path/to/maildir
>
> Is it possible to let users authenticate and change their passwords?  There
> are some webmail client add-ons that allow such things if users are system
> accounts or in a MySQL/LDAP db.  Does anyone else use passdb/userdb
> passwd-files like above and have a method for allowing users to change their
> passwords from the web?
>
> Sorry for the slightly off-topic question, but hoping another Dovecot admin
> has solved this problem.  Preference is to not to be tied to any particular
> webmail client just for this change password feature.

There isn't a general utility to do that. I wrote a simple script for
one such case, namely sork-passwd from the Horde suite. The script just
receives the username, old password and new password from stdin and then
changes the password entry in a file. But I'm using only passwd files,
without the extra fields in a userdb file. Besides that, there are other
things that could have been done in a better way.

If you want to take a look, I posted it here some time ago:
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2008-June/031629.html

--
Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb