[Dovecot] Thunderbird and Dovecot on FC5 taking a long time to retrieve message

Bruen, Mark mbruen at AffinionGroup.com
Fri Aug 1 21:13:38 EEST 2008

I'm running FC5 (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp) and Dovecot
dovecot-1.0-0.beta8.2.fc5 with Thunderbird 2.0.0.16.

I set up imap (dovecot) so I can access my mail locally or remotely. It
seems to take a very long time (minutes sometimes) for an Email to be
retrieved after I select it in the folder list and/or in the Email list
locally or remotely. I've traced the imap process and found it doing a
lot of reading (read() system calls) for a long time. I do have a high
message count in some of these folders (i.e.: 20000 or so). Is there any
way to improve performance (use more memory, cache indexes, tune I/O
parameters, etc...) ?

Thanks.

            -Mark