[Dovecot] related, but off-topic: how to allow users to change password?

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
Sat Aug 2 17:45:14 EEST 2008

Sahil Tandon wrote:
> Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo at kalinowski.com.br> wrote:
>

>> There isn't a general utility to do that. I wrote a simple script for
>> one such case, namely sork-passwd from the Horde suite. The script just
>> receives the username, old password and new password from stdin and then
>> changes the password entry in a file. But I'm using only passwd files,
>> without the extra fields in a userdb file. Besides that, there are other
>> things that could have been done in a better way.
>>
>> If you want to take a look, I posted it here some time ago:
>> http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2008-June/031629.html
>>

> Thanks Eduardo.  That looks like something I might've been able to modify
> for our needs but using it with sork would require us to install the
> entire Horde, which we do not want

If you have another similar application that can output the
username/password parameters (or can write one easily), the
password-changing script should be easy to adapt to that case.

--
You know you have a small apartment when Rice Krispies echo.
		-- S. Rickly Christian

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb