[Dovecot] dovecot-auth requires userdb, but already configured

Carl Vondrick carl at vondrick.com
Tue Aug 5 05:53:48 EEST 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Aug 4, 2008, at 6:11 PM, Carl Vondrick wrote:
>
>>> In this case, Dovecot's deliver needs a
>>> master socket to get user information from. See instructions at
>>> http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA .
>>
>> I have adjusted my configuration so that a master auth socket is
>> created.  I confirmed it's created, but the problem still persists.
>
> How exactly do you see the problem with deliver?

In short, it causes fetchmail / getmail to fail.  There doesn't seem
to be an error message either.

carl at cvondrick:~$ fetchmail
329 messages for carl at vondrick.com at pop.gmail.com (14160305 octets).
reading message carl at vondrick.com@gmail-pop.l.google.com:1 of 329
(5416 octets).fetchmail: error writing message text
fetchmail: MDA error while fetching from carl at vondrick.com@pop.gmail.com
fetchmail: Query status=6 (IOERR)

carl at cvondrick:~$ cat .fetchmailrc
poll pop.gmail.com with proto POP3
user carl at vondrick.com there with pass foobar
mda "/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d vondrick"
ssl

There is similar behavior with getmail:
carl at cvondrick:~$ getmail
getmail version 4.7.7
Copyright (C) 1998-2007 Charles Cazabon.  Licensed under the GNU GPL version 2.
SimplePOP3SSLRetriever:carl at vondrick.com@pop.gmail.com:995:
Delivery error (command deliver 32064 error (78, ))
  msg   1/329 (5416 bytes), delivery error (command deliver 32064 error (78, ))

I'm following the example in this thread:
http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2007-July/024012.html

Thanks for your responses so far -- this is a very helpful and active community.

Carl