[Dovecot] expire-plugin: configuration dict-server

Eric Toczek eric at flerd.com
Tue Aug 5 16:30:05 EEST 2008

Jens Meyer wrote:
> Hello Eric,
>
> thank you very much for your prompt and helpful reply!
>
> The connect seem to work fine now.
>
> Please allow me two additional questions:
> Is it correct that this database-table is only a "caching-table" which
> is empty at first and will be filled later? It is not necessary to
> adapt the SQL-statement to my user-configuration, is it?!
Correct. The table is filled when the message is moved to one of the
folders that is marked as an Expire folder. That folder is added to the
table with a timestamp like so:

$ echo "select * from mail.expire where path like 'eric%'" | mysql -u
root -p
Enter password:
username        path    timestamp
        eric at flerd.com/Junk     1217943338
        eric at flerd.com/Trash    1217941084

> Is it necessary to reference the foldernames with "INBOX.Trash" or
> only "Trash"? For Sieve I have to use "INBOX.Trash".

Use INBOX.Trash if the trash folder you're looking to clear out is a
subfolder of your Inbox.

> Actually nothing happens when trying the plugin with "dovecot
> --exec-mail ext /usr/libexec/dovecot/expire-tool --test".
Do you have the plugin loaded in the imap protocol section?

protocol imap {
  mail_plugins = fts fts_squat quota imap_quota expire
}

If you do then the table should get updated when you move a message into
the trash folder.

If you've got the plugin set correctly and you're still not getting
anything written into the table you can restart mysql with query logging
on:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/query-log.html

Then move a message to one of the expire folders and see what query is run on the database and if it's not succeeding due to an error.