[Dovecot] Vacation reply with Procmail and dovecot deliver

CJ Keist cj.keist at colostate.edu
Wed Aug 6 01:17:14 EEST 2008

Giving up on the sieve plugin and switching to procmail.  I found the
following link:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/procmail

This site doesn't saying anything about needing to modify the procmail
source code like here:

http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2006-July/014656.html

Thos shows how to make procmail work with dovecot deliver program.  So
you create the following /etc/procmailrc file:

# file: /etc/procmailrc
# system-wide settings for procmail
SHELL="/usr/bin/sh"
SENDMAIL="/userM/mail-services/postfix/lib/sendmail"
LOGFILE="/var/log/procmail.log"
DELIVER="/userM/mail-services/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/deliver -d $USER"
# fallback:
DEFAULT="$HOME/mail"
:0 w
| $DELIVER

So I modified postfix to call procmail (version 3.22):

mailbox_command = /userM/mail-services/procmail/bin/procmail -Y -a
$DOMAIN -d $USER

So now I'm getting the vacation reply sent to the sender (Yea!!!), but
the message is failing to get to the recipient. In the procmail log file
I see:

Fatal: Missing -d argument
procmail: Program failure (64) of
"/userM/mail-services/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/
deliver"
- From someaccount at yahoo.com  Tue Aug  5 15:21:09 2008
 Subject: test 7 procmail
  Folder: /top/admin/ENS/people/cjay/home/mail/msg.qX_
   1878

Has anyone got this setup working??

- --
C. J. Keist                     Email: cj.keist at colostate.edu
UNIX/Network Manager            Phone: 970-491-0630
Engineering Network Services    Fax:   970-491-5569
College of Engineering, CSU
Ft. Collins, CO 80523-1301

All I want is a chance to prove 'Money can't buy happiness'