[Dovecot] Dovecot proxying results in "too many open files"

Gianpaolo Del Matto gianpaolo.delmatto at genotec.ch
Wed Aug 6 19:57:34 EEST 2008

Hi again,

Here's some more information on the case.

In the meanwhile I tried the same setup with
Dovecot 1.1.2, still the same result

As I saw in fstat on FreeBSD memory mapped files
are ommited, so I did some further yet inaccurate
monitoring with mmaped files included.

while [ : ]; do date; fstat -m -u dovecot |wc -l; sleep 1; done
Wed Aug  6 18:37:05 CEST 2008
      918
Wed Aug  6 18:37:06 CEST 2008
      923
Wed Aug  6 18:37:07 CEST 2008
      917
Wed Aug  6 18:37:08 CEST 2008
      911
Wed Aug  6 18:37:09 CEST 2008
      912
Wed Aug  6 18:37:10 CEST 2008
      914
Wed Aug  6 18:37:11 CEST 2008
      913
Wed Aug  6 18:37:13 CEST 2008
      912
Wed Aug  6 18:37:14 CEST 2008
      911
Wed Aug  6 18:37:15 CEST 2008
      909
Wed Aug  6 18:37:16 CEST 2008
      912
Wed Aug  6 18:37:17 CEST 2008
      910

So actually I am very close to the 1024 FD barrier,
so the question remains, if Dovecot inherits
FD_SETSIZE from libc and if this might be the cause
of the whole trouble.

During testing I did also a build of both
1.1.1 and 1.1.2 without SSL and mysql libraries,
so basically just "plain" Dovecout without anything,
though that made no difference at all.

Greetings,

Gianpaolo