[Dovecot] Purpose of files under .imap

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Aug 7 05:18:11 EEST 2008

On Aug 6, 2008, at 9:53 PM, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> I've got a user with an unusable account. Tbird just sits in a loop
> endlessly logging in over and over when a particular folder is
> selected.
>
> What files under .imap associated with that folder can be safely
> deleted? What's stored in all of them?

What Dovecot version? What do you see in Dovecot's logs? Instead of
deleting move the files so that if it's a new bug that I haven't fixed
I could take a look at the indexes to see if I can get it fixed.

> I see all of these:
>
> .customflags

v0.99-only, delete.

> dovecot.index
> dovecot.index.cache
> dovecot.index.log

All of these are safe to delete.

> .imap.index
> .imap.index.data
> .imap.index.log
> .imap.index.tree

These are v0.99-only, delete.

So I guess you're using mbox? There it's safe to delete everything. If
you're using maildir you should keep dovecot-uidlist and dovecot-
keywords.