[Dovecot] Install from source of dovecot 1.1.2

John and Catherine Allen allen at vo.lu
Sun Aug 10 19:50:48 EEST 2008

Guy wrote:
> I have what I'm sure is a stupid question. I'm trying to install
> Dovecot 1.1.2 from source and my command sequence is this:
> cd dovecot-1.1.2
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --with-mysql
> --with-storagesmaildir --sysconfdir=/etc/dovecot
> make
> make install
> cd ../dovecot-sieve-1.1.5
> ./configure --with-dovecot=../dovecot-1.1.2
> make
> make install
>

> I've done the odd config on dovecot to try and keep it as close to the
> install dirs used by the Dovecot package included with Ubuntu.
> Once it's done, dovecot -n still looks in /usr/local/etc and when I
> try and start dovecot it looks for the libexec dir in /usr/local
> instead of /usr.
> Is there something I'm missing on the configure?

I also install from source on my Debian system and I keep the configure
options in a little script which currently looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
#configure flags for compilation compatible with gentoo emerge
#john allen
#9.5.2005
#modified 19.11.2006
#modified 26.1.2008 for kirtley
./configure \
      --with-pam \
      --without-deliver \
      --with-storages=maildir \
      --prefix=/usr \
      --mandir=/usr/share/man \
      --infodir=/usr/share/info \
      --datadir=/usr/share \
      --sysconfdir=/etc/dovecot \
      --localstatedir=/var

I can't see any problem with your configure options, so as Charles says
maybe there's another dovecot somewhere on your system.

Have you tried the command "which dovecot"?

John

--
John Allen
Bofferdange, Luxembourg