[Dovecot] Cyrus vs Dovecot

Mathieu Kretchner mathieu.kretchner at sophia.inria.fr
Tue Aug 12 16:06:55 EEST 2008

> Hi,
>
> we are providing Mail-Service (POP3, IMAP; either TLS or SSL) to 22000
> students here at my university.
>
> There are 2 machines running as active-passive cluster with DRBD to sync
> the maildata. Each box is a 4 core Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5160 @ 3.00GHz
> with 8 gigs RAM.
>
> After a tuneup for DRBD and upgrade to dovecot 1.1 average load is
> around 1.0.
>
> HTH
> Philipp

Impressive !

You'll be my contact for next few months :)

How many Megabyte does the datamail size ? (total and per user?)

Have you tune your conf file following this link :
http://wiki.dovecot.org/PerformanceTuning ?

Do you have Mail data or index on a NFS server (NAS) ? Actually that the
point of interest, we would like to take advantage of our NAS because it
manages so well automatic snapshot and incremental backup that would be
a really good security for data mail users. Does anybody have such IMAP
architecture ?

PS : awesome mailing list... so reactive !