[Dovecot] NFS vs CIFS - and Dovecot

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 12 19:32:28 EEST 2008

On Aug 12, 2008, at 12:27 PM, Daniel L. Miller wrote:

> I've seen a number of posts discussing NFS based storage and issues
> with Dovecot.  When the term "NFS" is used - does this exclusively
> refer to the Linux NFS network file system, or is it a generic
> reference to any network file system?  I don't recall seeing any
> posts referencing issues with CIFS or SMBFS - is this because no one
> is using it, or because it just works instead of fiddling with NFS?

I've only tested NFS, but since similar workarounds work for FUSE it's
likely that they also work for CIFS/SMBFS. But there are additional
issues with them, like you probably can't use ':' character (needed by
Maildir) and I don't know if hard links are supported. I wouldn't
recommend using without heavy stress testing. :)