[Dovecot] Auto Vacation replies again

Tue Aug 12 19:46:51 EEST 2008

On 8/12/2008, CJ Keist (cj.keist at colostate.edu) wrote:
> I understand what you are saying in trying to keep a
> vicious cycle of auto-replies responding to each other.  But in our
> environment I don't have any choice as our central virus/spam email
> gateway will can any message without a valid from address in the headers.
>    I will forward this on to our central IT guys that maintain the email
> gateway, but I don't hold much hope that they will listen  ;) .

My advice? Throw away the gateway and find one that works correctly.

Doing this results in your users NOT getting 99.99% of valid/legitimate
DSN notifications (since they all use the NULL sender, as prescribed by
the RFCs).

Blocking all messages with a NULL sender is not only violating the RFCs,
and will possibly result in your getting on certain blacklists, like
dsn.rfc-ignorant.org, it is lazy and dumb.

But, to each his own...

--

Best regards,

Charles