[Dovecot] SSL Certifcates

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 12 21:27:44 EEST 2008

On Aug 8, 2008, at 5:06 PM, Stephen Feyrer wrote:

> Thanks, I will persevere.  I would like to point out that I'm only
> using  PAM as it seems the best way to get email to system users.  I
> am open to another method that might work.

Anything that allows you to log in without password checking. For
example a passwd-file containing only valid usernames and nopassword
field. Or maybe SQLite query always returning success.

> My pam.d/imap file now looks like this.
>
> # Provided by mailbase (dont remove this line!)
> # Standard pam.d file for mail service packages.
> # $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/net-mail/mailbase/files/common-
> pamd-include,v 1.1 2005/04/29 13:07:50 ticho Exp $
>
> #auth       required     pam_nologin.so
> auth       required     pam_allow.so
> auth       include      system-auth
> account    include      system-auth
> session    include      system-auth
>
> This fails the authentication.

Yes, because you're still doing a system-auth lookup. You want to
allow anyone to log in with any user/pass combination, so only keep
the pam_allow.so line there.