[Dovecot] Quota does not apply.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Aug 13 01:07:53 EEST 2008

On Aug 4, 2008, at 3:02 PM, Dario Ale wrote:

> But, if I configure a high global quota and a small quota for INBOX,
> sent a mail that is more big that quota for INBOX, then quota is not
> applied and the mail is delivered to INBOX.

The quota configuration doesn't really work the way you think it works.

> dovecot: Aug 04 15:47:03 Info: IMAP(dario.a): Quota rule: root=
> mailbox=* bytes=209715200 (0%) messages=0 (0%)
> dovecot: Aug 04 15:47:03 Info: IMAP(dario.a): Quota rule: root=
> mailbox=.mbox bytes=10485760 (0%) messages=0 (0%)

The second quota rule matches to a mailbox called ".mbox". If you
wanted it to match INBOX, you should have used INBOX there. Quota code
sees only the virtual mailbox names, not the physical file/directory
names.

Secondly, you can't reduce the quota for specific mailboxes. With the
above configuration you're giving ".mbox" mailbox 10 MB of more space
(so 210 MB total).

Sounds like what you want to do is change your MTA configuration not
to allow incoming mails larger than 10 MB.