[Dovecot] Cyrus vs Dovecot

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Aug 13 20:15:00 EEST 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 12:44 PM, Ed W wrote:

> On the cyrus list they mentioned email retention policies.  Now some
> people are going to say that this is really a job for the MTA
> (postfix/sendmail/etc).  However, you have some plugins which might
> get you partly towards solving that need, but nothing out of the box
> which would give you a cast iron (stand up in court) kind of
> archiving control.  However, you can get close I think

I noticed someone mentioned delayed expunges, which is implemented
nearly identically for Dovecot using lazy-expunge plugin. Although
with maildir that requires renaming the files elsewhere while Cyrus is
able to just leave the files where they are. I'll probably implement
the same thing for dbox format some day.