[Dovecot] Marking as Read causes Body.Peek on ALL messages - Reasonable?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Aug 13 20:54:52 EEST 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 12:12 PM, Daniel Watts wrote:

> I've noticed when I select a folder of messages (Thunderbird) and
> mark them all as read (or unread) it produces the following IMAP
> transcript:
>
> Source	Destination	Info
> c.c.c.c	s.s.s.s	Request: DONE
> s.s.s.s	c.c.c.c	Response: 20 OK Idle completed.
> c.c.c.c	s.s.s.s	Request: 21 uid store 1:20 -Flags (\Seen)
> s.s.s.s	c.c.c.c	Response: * 1 FETCH (UID 1 FLAGS (\Recent NonJunk))
> c.c.c.c	s.s.s.s	Request: 22 UID fetch 2 (UID RFC822.SIZE BODY.PEEK[])
> s.s.s.s	c.c.c.c	Response: * 2 FETCH (UID 2 RFC822.SIZE 1339 BODY[]
> {1339}
..

Looks a bit stupid. But I'd guess it's related to Thunderbird being
configured to download mail when reading it and it treats setting
\Seen the same as reading it. Just a guess though.

> Is this reasonable? I thought it would be possible to just send a
> list of message UIDs and say mark these as /seen /unseen etc.

Sure, it would be possible. Also if Thunderbird really wants to fetch
these messages' bodies, it could have done it using a single command
instead of 20 separate ones..