[Dovecot] Webmail app ... again.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Aug 14 00:05:05 EEST 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 4:59 PM, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

>> One thing that would be nice, that pretty much no webmail does, is
>> to keep a stateful connection open all the time (or at least some
>> of the time) instead of creating tons of short-lived connections
>> that ask the same stuff over and over again. With a stateful
>> connection you could basically run IDLE and wait for changes there
>> instead of asking all the time "is there new mail?" "is there new
>> mail now?" "what about now?".
>
> I've seen several messages on the list that seem to indicate some
> clients don't maintain the connection.  It will be interesting to
> see what the implications of this.  Not sure if it can be done from
> a HTTP connection as it is suppose to be stateless.

It doesn't have to rely on a stateful HTTP connection. You already
most likely use some server-stored state based on cookies/whatever. So
among that server state you could also keep the opened IMAP
connection. I guess the main issue here is that it doesn't work all
that nicely if the HTTP requests get redirected to different servers
randomly.