[Dovecot] Cyrus vs Dovecot

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Aug 14 04:10:03 EEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 01:07:34PM -0400, Wesley Craig wrote:
> On 13 Aug 2008, at 10:31, kbajwa wrote:
> > I think you are missing a point which is most important, i.e., what
> > type of
> > support Cyrus vs Dovecot offers. In my experience:
> >
> > Cyrus      =  0
> > Dovecot    =  100
>
> As someone who answers many help requests for cyrus (and I'm very far
> from the only one), I can honestly say I've never seen a requests
> from you.  Perhaps you've had a lot of occasion to ask for help with
> Dovecot.  I'm happy to hear you've gotten that help.  Community is a
> lot of what open source software is about.  As for your experience
> with the cyrus imapd community, perhaps your sample size is too small.

Yeah, there are a few of us here answering help requests, and even
helping debugging in some cases.  I'd be interested to see where
that '0' comes from too.

Still, I think Cyrus and Dovecot are the best two imap servers out
there, so it's going to be a question of which integrates best with
your usage pattern.  For a small server, starting with no experience
in either, I would probably choose Dovecot.  Now that I know Cyrus
inside out, back to front, warts and all - well, I'd choose Cyrus
because I know how to make it play nice.  It's more of a "total
system" in itself though, that you write support stuff around.
Dovecot integrates more with other tools in a unix-daemon'y way.

Enjoy,

Bron ( now if someone came along with a compelling competitior
       for SASL... )