[Dovecot] Webmail app ... again.

Sean Kamath kamath at geekoids.com
Thu Aug 14 08:26:39 EEST 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 4:03 PM, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> Daniel L. Miller wrote:
>> Geert Hendrickx wrote:

>> I'm sure "native" support would be better, but how is this
>> different from using Squirrelmail with IMAPProxy?
>
> Very interesting.  I was thinking of hos to do something similar to
> IMAPProxy.  Now I may not have to reinvent that wheel.

Seems to me you could use something like mod_perl to have state-
keeping processes running that can keep the connections alive, going
IDLE after 10 seconds or so after the last request they got.  You can
limit the number of open connections from any given process with LRU
queuing, but I don't have suggestions on how to tie which process gets
which request.  Perhaps by writing a middle-layer service that all the
processes talk to?

But the big killer is scaleability and handling multiple servers,
which is why some sort of front end like IMAPProxy are attractive.

Good luck

Sean