[Dovecot] Proxy logging destuser

Paul Gamble - MWEB PGamble at mweb.com
Thu Aug 14 11:42:42 EEST 2008

Hi Timo

Thanks very much, hadn't finished my morning coffee and already a patch
:)

The patch does the trick:

- My dovecot.conf for the proxy:
  login_log_format_elements = pid=%p user=%u method=%m rsock=%r:%b
lsock=%l:%a proto=%s %c
  login_log_format = MYPROXY %s %$:
- gives me, via syslog:
Aug 14 10:14:03 withnail dovecot: imap-login: MYPROXY pid=6516,
user=pgamble at abc.co.za, method=PLAIN, rsock=127.0.0.1:48157,
lsock=127.0.0.1:1143, proto=IMAP, secured proxy(pgamble at abc.co.za):
started proxying to 127.0.0.1:143/pgamble*master:
Aug 14 10:26:02 withnail dovecot: pop3-login: MYPROXY pid=6514,
user=pgamble at abc.co.za, method=PLAIN, rsock=127.0.0.1:55991,
lsock=127.0.0.1:1110, proto=POP3, secured proxy(pgamble at abc.co.za):
started proxying to 127.0.0.1:110/pgamble*master:

This is just on a dev box, hence the odd IP's, log format, etc.

I'm using "master authentication" for the backend auth and so the the
master user and separator character are imbedded in the backend user,
i.e. "client->proxy_user", ("pgamble*master" above) and it would be
convenient to have them available separately, but I can live with it
as-is.

So...great stuff, thanks very much! What is your approach with regards
to incorporating these kinds of patches (in response to ad-hoc user
requests) into your main development tree? It would obviously be nice to
know that this will be incorporated at some point... Would it be
feasible to add a "config variable" for this (along the lines of %u, %p,
%s, etc, etc)?

Regards,
Paul Gamble