[Dovecot] Dovecot IMAP INBOX Namespace iPhone

Andrew Goldschmidt andrew at ashersons.co.za
Sun Aug 17 12:56:27 EEST 2008

Hi Guys,

Our ISP who is hosting our email, recently moved our domain's email onto a
new mail server, which is apparently running Dovecot, and has support for
IMAP.

* OK Dovecot ready.

Most of the email clients have not had a problem moving from the old server
to the new server. But some have! Including the iPhone users.

The problem is that the INBOX is not directly accessible through the email
client. (The following work perfectly: Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird
- even though the INBOX is NOT specifically returned in the list of
subscribed folders, it is there, with emails in it)

006 SELECT INBOX
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft $Forwarded $MDNSent Junk
NonJunk)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft $Forwarded
$MDNSent Junk NonJunk \*)] Flags permitted.
* 49 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1211291159] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 458] Predicted next UID
006 OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.

The iPhone simply refuses to allow access into the INBOX, but children
folders work 100%.
http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/891/img0003ui8.png

I think that it has something to do with this:

006 LIST "" "*"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Junk E-mail"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Deleted Items"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Drafts"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Sent"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Work"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Friends"
006 OK List completed.

There is NO INBOX specifically returned ...

Zimbra Desktop Client refuses to even load any messages from the Inbox.

Is this a problem at all?
Is this something that my ISP should be able to fix?
Is this a problem that can be fixed?

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6793/thunderbirdmi8.jpg

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/1165/outlookul6.jpg

Any ideas ???