[Dovecot] Dovecot and fake users

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 19 10:14:13 EEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 10:05 +0300, Vytenis Sabaliauskas wrote:
>     I am trying to use the following configuration for testing, but it
> doesn't seem to work (don't laugh :) )

Set auth_debug=yes and look at the logs. But here are some suggestions:

> -------8<------------
>   passdb pam {
>     args = dovecot
>   }

Another possibility could be SQLite with:

password_query = select '%u' as user, null as password, 'y' as nopassword

>   userdb static {
>     args = uid=0 gid=0 home=/var/mail/empty allow_all_users=yes
>     }

With uid=0 you're telling Dovecot to run the mail process as root.
That's not going to work. Use some other uid.

> cat /etc/pam.d/dovecot:
> #%PAM-1.0
>
> auth required pam_permit.so

I don't know what pam_permit does, but would pam_allow work?