[Dovecot] How Can I Tell How Dovecot Was Installed?

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed Aug 20 00:15:31 EEST 2008

mouss wrote:
> Blake Carver wrote:
>> I'm trying to help someone with Dovecot, and it looks like this one is
>> a few versions behind.
>>
>> They say that they're not sure if it was installed Via an RPM or a
>> source tarball. Dovecot is use MySQL.
>>
>> This is a RHEL5 server. There are RPMs listed as installed (rpm -qa)
>> but I don't know how I can tell what was used to install the currently
>> used set up. (also asking on the Postifix list)
>>
>> Is there something in a conf file or something that shows me how it
>> was installed?
>

> same method as for postfix :)
>
> more generally,
> # rpm -qa
> lists all the installed packages

Unless, like he said above it may have been installed via a tarball.

	dovecot --version

works for my /really/ ancient version. (Yes, I am too embarrassed to say
which version.)  You should and see if there is more than one installed
and if so at how dovecot is started at startup/boot to know which one is
used.

So try a 'which dovecot' to see if you have more than one installed.
And if there is more than one look in /etc/init.d (for SysV-type systems
- YMMV) for a dovecot file and see which one it is calling.

Rod