[Dovecot] Sent Date/time vs Received Date/time

Wed Aug 20 15:43:02 EEST 2008

On 8/20/2008, Nicolas KOWALSKI (nicolas.kowalski at gmail.com) wrote:
> The alpine documentation states about 'Arrival' sorting:
>
> " The Arrival sort option arranges messages in the MESSAGE INDEX in
> the order that they exist in the folder. This is usually the same as
> the order in which they arrived. This option is comparable to not
> sorting the messages at all. "
>
> It is the same (non-)ordering available in Mozilla mail clients, with
> the 'Order Received' option.

Ok, this is something that I have thought about from time to time.

I know that every message has a 'received' header, which is basically
the date/time stamp of the SENDERS CLIENT - so if their system's time is
off, that date/time header will be off.

So, where does this 'Order Received' column in TBird get its info from?
I'm guessing it is a TBird thing, like an internal index number?

In my mind, there should be two primary date/time columns:

Sent Date/Time = Date/time of the Client system when message was sent
(this is already there as the plain 'Date' column)

and

Received Date/Time = Date/time the receiving SERVER DELIVERED it

I can see the benefit for the third 'Client' side Date/time stamp, which
is the current 'Order Received' in TBird.

I'd like to see support added for grabbing the last date/time from the
LDA that delivers the message, but that obviously request is for the
TBird devs (or most likely an extension request), but...

The main question is - is there a proper IMAP/RFC for providing/getting
this date/time?

--

Best regards,

Charles