[Dovecot] Sent Date/time vs Received Date/time

mouss mouss at netoyen.net
Wed Aug 20 21:30:46 EEST 2008

Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 8/20/2008, Nicolas KOWALSKI (nicolas.kowalski at gmail.com) wrote:
>> The alpine documentation states about 'Arrival' sorting:
>>
>> " The Arrival sort option arranges messages in the MESSAGE INDEX in
>> the order that they exist in the folder. This is usually the same as
>> the order in which they arrived. This option is comparable to not
>> sorting the messages at all. "
>>
>> It is the same (non-)ordering available in Mozilla mail clients, with
>> the 'Order Received' option.
>
> Ok, this is something that I have thought about from time to time.
>
> I know that every message has a 'received' header, which is basically
> the date/time stamp of the SENDERS CLIENT - so if their system's time is
> off, that date/time header will be off.
>
> So, where does this 'Order Received' column in TBird get its info from?
> I'm guessing it is a TBird thing, like an internal index number?

the order of putting the message in the folder. this has nothing to do
with dates contained in the message. if you manually move an old message
to another folder, you'll see it last in the new folder.

> In my mind, there should be two primary date/time columns:
>
> Sent Date/Time = Date/time of the Client system when message was sent
> (this is already there as the plain 'Date' column)
>
> and
>
> Received Date/Time = Date/time the receiving SERVER DELIVERED it

Parsing Received headers is not a science. so this would create
unnecessary (IMHO) problems for MUA developpers. the "delivery" time is
sufficient (if all mail goes to the same fielsystem).