[Dovecot] Sent Date/time vs Received Date/time

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Aug 21 09:01:12 EEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 17:06 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:

> The RFC for this apparently is 2060, but:

You should be looking at 3501 :)

> > 2.3.3.  Internal Date Message Attribute

> It sounds like this INTERNALDATE changes... I'd like something that is
> from the message headers - ie, that doesn't change - so that sorting
> will *always* be what I want/expect, even if I move messages from one
> IMAP server to another...

INTERNALDATE is stored in message's mtime with maildir. It's preserved
when COPYing a message to another mailbox. Whether it's preserved when a
client copies it between different IMAP accounts depends on the client -
APPEND command anyway supports INTERNALDATE parameter.

Evolution's "Received" field means the same as INTERNALDATE and I always
use it to order my messages. Works fine.