[Dovecot] How Can I Tell How Dovecot Was Installed?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Aug 21 19:42:43 EEST 2008

on 8-20-2008 2:47 PM Kenneth Porter spake the following:
> --On Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:35 AM -0400 Blake Carver
> <lists at lisnews.com> wrote:
>
>> I guess I'm not quite sure how to interpret this to help me figure out
>> my problem, there are changes rpm reports, does this mean that an RPM
>> was installed but so was a source package?
>>
>> rpm -V -v dovecot
>> ........ c /etc/dovecot.conf
>
> This is a config file, as denoted by the "c". The row of dots means the
> file is pristine (hasn't been modified since it was installed).
>
>> S.5....T c /etc/rc.d/init.d/dovecot
>
> This config file is different from the package. I don't recall what all
> the flags mean but the "5" means an MD5 checksum mismatch. As a rule,
> initscripts shouldn't be modified unless you're doing something tricky,
> so this was likely replaced from a tarball install.
>
>> prelink: /usr/libexec/dovecot/dict: at least one of file's
>> dependencies has changed since prelinking
>> S.?.....   /usr/libexec/dovecot/dict
>> prelink: /usr/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-auth: at least one of file's
>> dependencies has changed since prelinking
>> S.?.....   /usr/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-auth
>
> All of these prelink errors suggest that your binaries were overwritten
> from a tarball installation. The easy fix is to erase ("rpm -e") the
> package and re-install it, likely upgrading to a newer package at the
> same time.
But a rpm install will not overwrite the tarball install since tarball
installs usually go to /usr/local or under /opt while rpm installs will go
into /usr directly. I don't know if the tarball has a make uninstall command,
but the previous admin "should" have left the unpacked source around from the
install somewhere in either /root or in his home directory. That can give more
clues.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and