[Dovecot] Distributed indexes, maildir_copy_preserve_filename, and Microsoft

Jack Stewart jstewart at caltech.edu
Fri Aug 22 20:48:03 EEST 2008

Hi,

I've just completed a migration from Courier to a Dovecot 1.0.7 (patched
RHE 5) which is working great, except for this weirdness of an issue
that is impacting a handful of users. My question is that will turning
off maildir_copy_preserve_filename help or hurt in a situation where
there are multiple servers with their own local INDEX files (uidlist is
shared)?

The problem is that a few users on a few versions of Microsoft Mail
clients are not showing a few messages. They can see the messages just
fine in webmail and other, more typical, E-mail clients.

I know that the right solution is to upgrade to 1.1.2 and use shared
indexes. The plan is to upgrade in a month or so. In my defense, this
setup was not of my making,

The two things issues that might have an impact are that we have shared
(NFS) maildirs on multiple servers with their own local indexes and
maildir_copy_preserve_file turned on. The uidlist (CONTROL) is shared
and we have sticky connections turned on in our load balancer. The vast
majority of clients do not have this issue. Quite frankly I have no idea
  these clients are ignoring the dovecot-uidlist.

Would turning off maildir_copy_preserve_filename help with this setup?

Another option might be easier is to delete the users INDEX and let the
clients rebuild them.

Since this is only a handful of users and we are migrating to 1.1.2
anyway, my preference is to make the bare minimum of changes to help
address this problem. The changes need not be perfect nor anytime more
than a suggestion or preference. I just want to make things better for a
little while.

Many thanks in advance.

---Jack

P.S. The performance improvement is amazing - anywhere from 2X to 12X
depending on what metrics you are looking at. It isn't an apples to
apples comparison since we upgraded the servers as well but the "old"
servers are pretty powerful beasts.

--
Jack Stewart
jstewart at caltech.edu / 626-395-4690