[Dovecot] namespaces...

John Doe jdmls at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 12:29:47 EEST 2008

> The SEPARATOR should just refer to the storage structure and the PREFIX
> should refer to the hierarchy. So if you use "/" as your SEPARATOR, then
> your storage structure will be user-directory/folder/sub-folder and if
> you use "." as your storage structure (the default), then your storage
> structure will be user-directory/.folder.sub-folder . A PREFIX of INBOX.
> should cause all of the folders & sub-folders to appear under the inbox;
> a PREFIX of "." should cause all of the folders to appear at the top
> level; and a PREFIX of Mail. will should all of the folders to appear
> under Mail with the exception of the INBOX.

Thx for your long post!  ^_^
But, from my tests, it seems not to work as expected...  At least not with thunderbird.
By default, Tbird has "allow server to override namespaces"
prefix=INBOX. and separator=.  => no prefix and Trash system not working.
prefix= and separator=.  => INBOX. prefix (from tbird) and Trash system working.
'/' in prefix and separator seems to be ignored (converted to '.').
I guess I will leave it to prefix= and separator=. but one user who uses apple mail complained about some prefix problems...

Thx,
JD