[Dovecot] mailbox lock

Thiago Monaco Papageorgiou thiago.monaco at corp.terra.com.br
Fri Aug 29 00:43:29 EEST 2008

Ok, but we must lock the mailbox because we often move groups of mailbox
from a file system to another. While the mailboxes are being moved, our
LDA shouldn't delivery a new message at the old mailbox, and isn't able
to delivery at the new one. The mailbox is unlocked after the exchange
of the file system , if the dovecot locks the index files and then the
mailbox exchanges of file system, what will unlock the index files of
the dovecot?
The dovecot process that perform the lock, will unlock the old index
files. This old index files will be erased as well as the whole old
mailbox, the new mailbox, that was moved to an another file system, will
remains locked.

We have almost 10M of mailboxes, if the chance that it happens is
something like 1/1M, it will happens 10 times per day!

--
Thiago Monaco Papageorgiou <thiago.monaco at corp.terra.com.br>