[Dovecot] Sieve fileinto a subfolder fails -- more info, possible workaround

Rich McAllister rfm at pensfa.org
Fri Aug 29 01:05:58 EEST 2008

After looking at the way Maildir represents subfolders, I changed
the sieve line from

        fileinto "Lists/NCCC";

	fileinto "Lists.NCCC";

and now it files into the NCCC subfolder of Lists as I wanted.  I'm
not sure whether this is the expected behavior or just an accident
that plugging that string into the file name happens to result in the right
name.

I haven't tried, but if it's just passing the fileinto argument along
with minimal inspection, I'm afraid the answer might be use
"Lists/NCCC" if mail is in mbox format but "Lists.NCCC" if mail is in
Maildirs, and it certainly seems that users editing their sieve
scripts shouldn't have to know that.

Rich

dovecot -n shows:

# 1.0.10: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
mail_privileged_group: mail
mail_location: maildir:/arda/export/mail/%u/Maildir
auth default:
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb: