[Dovecot] Sieve fileinto a subfolder fails

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
Fri Aug 29 14:15:13 EEST 2008

Rich McAllister wrote:
> I'm using Dovecot 1.0.10 on Ubuntu 8.04, using the packages from the
> distro; exim4 is my MTA and it's configured according to the
> instructions in the wiki, everything is working fine for delivery into
> the Maildir INBOX via Dovecot's LDA and reading mail via IMAP using
> Thunderbird.
>
> My habit on previous mail systems was to create a Lists folder and
> subfolders under Lists for each mailing list I subscribe to.  I tried
> to use Dovecot sieve to sort mail into the folders with sieve filters
> like
>
> require "fileinto";
> if header :contains "Subject" "[NCCC]" {
>         fileinto "Lists/NCCC";
> } else {
>         keep;
> }
>
> I created Lists/NCCC via Thunderbird (so I could set the "check this
> folder for new mail property") but when Dovecot tries to deliver into
> the folder, I get the log message
>
>  msgid=<...>: Couldn't open mailbox Lists/NCCC: Invalid mailbox name
>
> Is there some other syntax for specifying folder/subfolder names in
> Dovecot sieve, or do I just have to live with the folders all at the
> top level

Try fileinto "Lists.NCCC", the "." is the default folder separator.

It should be possible to change it to a "/" with namespaces, but it
would make a cosmetic change, and judging by other posts in the list, it
seems to cause a lot more trouble than benefits. :-)

--
My godda bless, never I see sucha people.
		-- Signor Piozzi, quoted by Cecilia Thrale

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb