[Dovecot] sieve forward/redirect to multiple addresses

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Sat Aug 30 17:28:58 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 07:11 -0700, Anil wrote:
>> Only the first redirect seems to be honored, the 2nd is not.
>>
> Could be a bug in cmusieve implementation or it could be designed that
> way. In either case I'd rather not do anything about it.
Out of curiosity I took a look at the cmusieve sources and I could not
spot the problem. I tested this at my end and I could not reproduce
this, meaning that both of my redirects (in addition to the keep action)
were delivered properly. So, it is definitely not designed that way and
therefore this may be a bug or (less likely) a misconfiguration. I am
using the latest 1.1 mercurial versions of dovecot and the dovecot
cmusieve plugin.

The logs should provide more information. After executing your script
with alternate addresses, my logs look as follows (with mail_debug=yes):

Aug 30 16:07:21 host deliver(stephan): cmusieve: Using sieve path:
/home/stephan/dovecot.sieve
Aug 30 16:07:21 host deliver(stephan): cmusieve: Executing script
/home/stephan/dovecot.sievec
Aug 30 16:07:21 host deliver(stephan): Sending a forward to
<stephan at rename-it.nl> with return path <<stephan at host.rename-it.nl>>
Aug 30 16:07:22 host deliver(stephan):
msgid=<48B95410.3050402 at host.rename-it.nl>: forwarded to
<stephan at rename-it.nl>
Aug 30 16:07:22 host deliver(stephan): Sending a forward to
<s.bosch at student.utwente.nl> with return path <<stephan at host.rename-it.nl>>
Aug 30 16:07:23 host deliver(stephan):
msgid=<48B95410.3050402 at host.rename-it.nl>: forwarded to
<s.bosch at student.utwente.nl>
Aug 30 16:07:24 host deliver(stephan):
msgid=<48B95410.3050402 at host.rename-it.nl>: saved mail to INBOX
> Dovecot will
> soon have a new Sieve implementation which allows multiple redirects:
> http://hg.rename-it.nl/dovecot-libsieve/

That is correct. However, to prevent  abuse, the RFC requires Sieve
implementors to impose a limit on the maximum number of redirects
executed. The new Dovecot Sieve is configured for a maximum of 4
redirects by default, which will be configurable.

Regards,

Stephan.