[Dovecot] Input and suggestions: Mail mirror setup

Ulf Zimmermann ulf at openlane.com
Sun Aug 31 00:45:38 EEST 2008

Hello, everyone.

To make life for our operations team easier I am looking at setting up a
mail mirror of any email
which gets sent from certain machines. My current ideas go along the
following lines:

Each machine will use the Postfix "always_bcc" option and set it to an
address like mailmirror at mailmirror.openlane.com.

On mailmirror I am looking at setting up Dovecot with public folders and
a number of users, which probably
will authenticate via Active Directory. I intend to create a main public
folder called MailMirror and then
underneath sub folders based on the sender email address in a format of
like "<sender>_<domain>".

Now the sub folders need to be created automatically when it doesn't
exist yet.

I think the best way to tie this in between Postfix and Dovecot is to
use an alias in Postfix
for mailmirror at mailmirror.openlane.com which will check if a public
folder exist or not. It will create
the folder and then deliver the message to the folder (maybe via safecat
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-November/026661.html)

Anyone got input or suggestion about my plans?

Ulf Zimmermann | Senior System Architect

OPENLANE
4600 Bohannon Drive, Suite 100
Menlo Park, CA 94025

O: 650-532-6382  M: (510) 396-1764  F: (510) 580-0929

Email: ulf at openlane.com | Web: www.openlane.com