[Dovecot] Auth_username_format question

Romer Ventura rventura at h-st.com
Fri Dec 5 01:21:27 EET 2008

Hello again,

    I have change authentication to LDAP from Kerberos due to recent changes
to my plans and I am having a little problem getting the malbox created in
desired path.

At the moment the home folders are being created in:
/home/vmail/DOMAIN.COM/%Ln and it worked great with kerberos, but with LDAP
the domain part is missing so I did the following:
Auth_username_format = %Ln

Then I did:
# telnet localhost pop3
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Dovecot ready.
user test4 at domain.com
+OK
pass password
+OK Logged in.

But I saw in the logs the following:
dovecot: auth(default): master out: USER     1       test4   uid=1001
gid=1000        home=/home/vmail//test4

The domain was missing..

So does it mean that auth_username_format dictates what dovecot will use,
not only for the authentication part, but for everything else as well..? To
me it seems that once the username has been formatted it forgets everything
that doesn¹t constitute part of the specified format. Or am I
misunderstanding the entire concept..?

How cant I preserve the domain part so that the homes can be placed in the
desired location: /home/vmail/%d/%u...?

Thanks