[Dovecot] unkillable imap process(es) with high CPU-usage

Arno Wald arno.wald at netcologne.de
Thu Dec 11 18:59:40 EET 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> If you can't kill a process with -9, the bug is in the kernel and

Do you have an idea, where and how I could report this to? (against the
kernel package?). Perhaps I try an original debian kernel instead the
sidux kernel first.

> there's nothing Dovecot can do about it. User spaces processes can't
> create unkillable processes unless something's broken.
>
> Although you could see if "strace -p <pid>" prints something. It's
> doubtful though if you can't kill the process.

I have tried this already without success. The strace did not print
anything and hang, without being able to be stopped by CTRL-C.

Thank you for your answer,
Arno