[Dovecot] Dovecot imap processes pinning CPU

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Dec 13 07:28:12 EET 2008

On Dec 13, 2008, at 3:40 AM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:

> In recent days, dovecot's "imap" processes keep getting stuck.  Each
> time I check my server (running dovecot 1.1.7) there's a bunch of
> "imap" processes (sometimes 2 of them, sometimes 4, sometimes 6)
> that are using all of the box's CPU.
>
> And worse, there's no way to kill the processes either (neither kill
> -15 or kill -9 works), which means that I wind up having to reboot
> the box every time this happens.  REALLY irritating.

I wonder what's going on. You're the 3rd person who has started a
thread about this within a few days. See the "unkillable imap
process(es) with high CPU-usage" thread that's going on, with the
exact same issue..
http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2008-December/035662.html

> I don't normally even *see* the imap processes in htop, as I think
> they're pretty short lived.

Depends on the clients, but many clients keep IMAP connections open
for a long time, so the imap processes should be long living.

What distribution and kernel version are you using?