[Dovecot] dovecot 1.2 Alpha4 shared folders

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Dec 13 16:54:07 EET 2008

On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 15:17 +0100, Diederick van Dijk wrote:
> > It doesn't show anything until there are shared mailboxes. Are there
> > any?
> >

> How do I setup these, symlinks ? Or is it in the acl ?

What do you need shared mailboxes for? Perhaps you don't really need
user-shared mailboxes, but rather public mailboxes that are much easier
to support with system users? http://wiki.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes

The user-shared mailboxes are meant to be shared by using IMAP SETACL
command. For example:

1 SETACL mailbox username +lr

> >> Should I put some file(s) is the users Maildir directory ?
> >>

> > I'm not sure how well the shared mailbox support works with system
> > users, or how well it will ever work. You're going to have permission
> > problems. You could create dovecot-shared files with proper permissions,
> > but that file isn't automatically created by SETACL command and I'm not
> > really sure if it even should.
> >

> This means that you only tested it with a virtual user setup ?

Yes, because getting it to work with system users isn't that simple
because of all the extra problems related to filesystem permissions.