[Dovecot] Performance issue about maildir path.

Jose Celestino japc at co.sapo.pt
Mon Dec 15 05:11:43 EET 2008

Words by Zhang Huangbin [Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:00:45AM +0800]:
> Hi, all.
>
> Normally, i use 'domain.ltd/username/Maildir' as users' maildir path, if
> i change them to hash style, e.g. 'A0/B0/domain.ltd/C0/D0/username/Maildir',
> will it speed up the index operation for MDA? If we have 10000 users,
> which maildir path style will improve performance?

Depends on which filesystem you put the maildirs on. For instance with
ext* you'll get a performance boost. Anyway it's always a good
arquitecture decision to hash it.

--
Jose Celestino | http://japc.uncovering.org/files/japc-pgpkey.asc